Antique Store Pickups - Quarter Boxes and So-So Junk Wax

One of the benefits about leaving home for work super early in the morning, is getting to leave early as well. Had about an hour to browse the antique store on the way home to just see what I might luck into. Found a few interesting items in the 25% off bin and picked up a few junk wax packs for 50% on a few sets that I've just been casually working on.

In order to try and stay focused on team sets, am staying to collecting team sets of Royals and Expos from Topps years for now. Found a neat 1981 Royals World Series card, and a Laughlin World Series card, both for 25 cents.

Thought these two 1986 cards were neat as well, also for 25 cents. This will boost the Yount collection a bit and no these aren't miscut, I just did a terrible job of scanning on these two!

Grabbed two 1988 Fleer cello packs for $1.25, one 1987 Topps Rack pack for $4.00, and 5 packs of 1991 Fleer Ultra for $1.00 each. Even though Ultra was around in the peak of my collecting days, I never bought much of it. Not sure why other than it may not have been around, or it was more expensive than '91 Donruss (which unfortunately I have a ton of).


Felt like the Ultra was definitely the best of the group. Any Griffey Jr is a good card, picked up my favorite player, Ryno, and was impressed with the Shawon Dunston photo as he's flying through the air turning two. Feel like this design gets a bad rap, but it was very close to being a good design. Too bad the card stock is flimsy and cheap, but this set could have been one of Fleer's better designs.

Unfortunately, the Rack Pack and Cellos were not very good at all. Was able to make a little progress toward set completion of these two, but there was not much to come from the Topps at all. I do like the team leaders cards, and think finding a Billy Beane card is cool since Moneyball is one of my favorite movies of all time. 

The Eric Davis All Star is a good card, but coming out of the pack it has two absolutely massive creases in it?!? The Cubs were all duplicates as I have already built that team set, however I did not have all the Stickers, so those were nice additions. 







Comments

  1. I almost bought a box of 1988 Fleer (wax) last weekend. I opened a lot of that (and Topps) back then. As for the Ultra packs... Fleer did a great job on photo cropping with Rickey, Griffey, Bonds, and Nolan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts