Busy Week (LCS, WhatNot, and TCDb)

Had a busy week and had cards come in from three different sources this week. One trade from TCDb, one purchase from WhatNot, and a Friday afternoon visit to the LCS. All three sources provided some different cards and cards from different eras. Some 50s and 60s cards, some junk wax era cards, and some modern cards (which just might be junk wax II era cards). 

It was kind of cool while I was in the LCS yesterday, that George Hill from the Indiana Pacers was there opening a case of National Treasures with the owner. I couldn't tell you anything about National Treasures but looking it up a case costs more than what I have to spend on my mortgage and car loans in one year! 

Call me paranoid but having lived through the late 80s and early 90s, I think a major collapse in the high-end cards market is coming soon. For us collectors doing this for the love of collecting and not worried about PSA Grade 10 NM, or RPA out of 10, or Kaboom Downtown Stained Glass, it won't bother us at all. Give me the 10-cent box and soft-cornered 70 year old cards any day and I'll be happy!

The first group (a TCDb trade) to arrive was this gigantic stack of Cubs / Royals / Expos that let me check off a lot of team set needs. There has to be over 200 cards here as there were a bunch of extras that my trading partner added for free. I got all of these cards for two basketball cards that I somehow picked up along the way, and since I don't collect basketball this was a great deal!

The second group (a WhatNot purchase) included the Al Kaline and this Hank Bauer (for $4). I typically don't go for 1957 cards unless they're bigger stars or Cubs, but I actually won the Kaline in a giveaway, and felt bad that the seller would have covered postage for that. So when this came up for a relatively small cost, decided to purchase it. 
The final group (visit to the LCS) knocked out some Cubs needs. I really like the Stadium Club cards this year. The card stock is solid and the photos are really good. Found a few Cubbies and did not want to pass up the cool looking Bo and Andre Dawson. The modern cards were all from the dime box, and the 1959s cost less than $10. 



Comments

  1. Dang. That must be one expensive box. I wonder if Hill pulled anything cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and the owner of the LCS split a case together according to the Sports Card Nonsense page on the Face. The post said it was a Chet Holmgren (man I am really not knowledgeable about the NBA anymore) - rookie patch auto numbered out of 10. Searching on Ebay they seem to be listed for $6000 - $7000!

      Delete
    2. Don't follow hoops much either... but I do recognize that name. Glad it wasn't some bench warmer.

      Delete
  2. Oh, there's definitely a collapse coming, at least for the modern stuff. I have a feeling that the vintage stuff will still be okay for a while though. And speaking of vintage, congratulations on your Kaline win! That's a really great card to win. The Bauer is cool, too. He led a very interesting life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts