Bo Knows

 


Ahhh, the lull between Christmas and New Year's while the temps don't reach above freezing! I was fortunate to have accumulated enough vacation days to let me have this entire week off from work -- so have been busy adding my collection into TCDb.

My current count is 6,359 added so far so am cruising right along. I'm looking forward to getting this part complete so I can start looking to trade and boost my Cubs and Ryne Sandberg player collection.

One insert that I came across was the 1991 Fleer Pro Vision subset. I just commented the other day about how awful the canary yellow monstrosity that Fleer put out in 1991. I do love the bleaching that Baseball Card Breakdown (Baseball Card Breakdown: A New Look for 1991 Fleer) has done to these cards -- they look a ton better. 

The Pro-Vision cards were one that I always looked forward to and hoped to find as I opened 1991 Fleer. I'm just three short of finishing this Sub-Set. 

This card stood out to me because it brought back memories of meeting Bo Jackson when I was a little kid visiting my aunt in Kansas City. It was likely around 1984 or 1985 and after having to endure an 6+ hour drive in the car (an eternity for an 8 year old), the one Royals game we had tickets for of course got rained out. 

While we waited however, my brother and I were able to hang out by the dugout and who should come up to chat for a while but Bo himself? It was cool shaking hands with him and although I can't remember what we said, I do remember thinking how huge he was. It's no wonder he was able to play both professional baseball and football, he seemed like a freak of nature!

I also remember he was super friendly and talked with my brother and I for a bit during the rain out. He definitely made a fan for life in just sitting there talking with us!


Comments

  1. That's really cool that you got the chance to interact with Bo. My best memory of him was when he went head to head versus Brian Bosworth and pushed him back into the end zone for a touchdown.

    P.S. And I'm a Seahawks fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meeting Bo, that had to be pretty awesome.

    I was adding my cards on TCDB on the weekends thinking I'd never get them all in. Then we got laid off for a month when Covid hit and I used all the time to get everything in. I hope you get everything logged in this week, it's much easier to keep up with once your caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fleer's Pro-Vision series was always a fun insert set. Getting to meet any famous athlete, let alone Bo Jackson, is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He wasn't drafted by the Royals until '86, so if one of yours dates is correct, it would be extremely interesting to know why he was there at that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the drawback of getting older that it's tough to remember those exact dates. Would have been almost 40 years ago now -- yikes!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts