Blog #1


I've been reading several card blogs for a while now. I was inspired to start my own blog here in the Blog-o-sphere as I start down the path of FINALLY organizing my collection, expanding my Cubs team sets and player collections, and downsizing the rest.

I've read the best card blog out there, Night Owl Cards, for several years now and I know I'll never hold a candle to his writing ability (I'm an accountant for my day job after all!). I just thought it would be fun to document my trials and tribulations as I work on completing Cubs Teams Sets and sort through my collection.

A little about my collecting life. I was born in the mid-70s and like most kids started collecting baseball cards when my Little League "career" started around 1984 or so. So, I was fortunate enough to start collecting right at the start of the oversaturation of baseball cards. 

Most of what I collected as a kid is now considered junk, but as kid there was nothing better than riding my Huffy dirt bike from my grandparent's house to Hook's Drug Store 2 miles away and buying three or four packs of 1987 Topps, hoping to get a few of my beloved Cubbies or maybe the hot rookies of that season. 

I started collecting again three or four years ago, just as my son started his own Little League career. It was actually right before the latest boom of high-priced hobby boxes, rookie patch autos, and on-line breaks! However, it was a great way to let him learn about the legendary players I grew up hearing about and even watching as a kid! He and I would spend Saturday mornings at our local card shop, opening a few packs of cards and sorting through the dime box looking for all-star third basemen (at the time his favorite position on the diamond).

Like most collectors (and not speculators) out there, I've grown disenchanted with the online card breaks, 1/1 chases, and manufactured relics. My approach is to collect what I love and the players from the teams that I lived and died with for so many years as kid and an adult.   

My favorite player as a kid growing up was Ryne Sandberg (the best 2nd Baseman of all time!). And the first single I ever bought with lawn mowing money was his 1983 Rookie. I am always searching for any Ryno cards to add the collection will be excited to add new ones along the way!


 

Comments

  1. Sounds like you'll be covering one of the more popular eras for blog readers, so if you can stick with it, I suspect that you'll find some success with this blog thing.

    And is your son still collecting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon - it'll definitely be tough once we hit baseball season, but I should be able to blend in some stories. I have two travel ball players and serve as assistant for both teams! Unfortunately, my son lost interest when packs at the local card shop way out priced his allowance!

      Delete
  2. I'm a touch older that you but have a same story. I used to ride 3 miles to Hook's Drugs on my bike any day I could collect enough change to buy a pack of 1981 (usually Topps).

    Welcome to the blogging family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! My grandparent's town also had a 5 / 10 Cent store! It's where I got a ton of Wacky Packages one summer!

      Delete
  3. Welcome to our blogging ranks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts