Bargain(?) Boxes and Repacks at the LCS


Had an interesting visit over my lunch hour to the local collectibles store in the town where I work. The store specializes in board games, Pokemon cards, Magic cards, and has sports cards for sale as well.

The store doesn't carry high end hobby sports cards, but focuses more on junk wax cards (think 88 Fleer packs, 88 Topps packs, 92 Studio, etc.). They do offer a "bargain box" that I went through today searching for some Cubs cards.

I was able to find a few nice Ryne Sandberg's and a few Cubs cards that I thought would be great adds to my collection. What was strange is that every single card in the "bargain bin" was marked $1. Little odd for 1986 Quaker cards. Believe me in the 4 boxes there were no high end cards to be found.

So I picked out about 15 or so cards (mainly some 2020 Gold Label commons, 1986 Quaker cards, and 1993 Topps), and went to the front asked if they'd be willing to take $3. Without even looking at what I had the response was "Nope, prices are firm!"...

Okay then, as much as I would have liked the three Sandberg's I didn't have, I wasn't willing to shell out $20 for cards worth less than $2. I guess it's their right to set prices at whatever they want to, but I'll be shocked if I don't go back in 6 months and see the same 4 boxes of baseball cards sitting there...

Now for the fun part...a few weeks before today I was in that store and picked up five packs of 1987 Donruss from their available junk wax boxes.

Got lucky in the packs and pulled a Bo Jackson rookie and Rafael Palmiero rookie. Also got a few Cubs in there as well. 

Finally brought them home from work tonight and was going to update TCDb and noticed something odd. Anyone else see anything strange here?



So I'm left feeling like I was taken advantage of by what appears to be a repack of cards being sold by a local card shop...but why in the heck would you put in a Bo Jackson Rookie and Rafael Palmiero Rookie in a repack? Just still feel like that is shady as heck and glad I didn't get 5 packs with a bunch of commons.

I never bought 1987 Donruss as a kid (just a year or two before my time of collecting), so maybe sequential order is not unusual --- just seems a bit strange to me though...

Needless to say, won't be frequenting that store for some time, or until a see a post from this shop that they're having an inventory reduction sale....


Comments

  1. I opened 87D back in the day... but don't remember that kind of collation. But like you pointed out... it's weird for anyone to search that stuff and leave Bo Jackson and Rafael Palmiero rookie cards inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. Thought nothing of it because of the two rated rookies that were in there, then when I starting sorting them to log into the database was like "what the heck". It was kind of a weird shop because like I said they tout a bargain box of commons and everything is priced at $1....

      I guess I'll have to wait to head to the LCS in our city that is more geared towards sports cards -- they're certainly more tuned in toward sports collectors!

      Delete
    2. I don't know if Palmiero is much of a draw these days, but Bo certainly still is.

      Delete
    3. I'd have to agree with you on the Palmiero draw. More a personal draw as I work on Cub team sets, than anything else. The Bo Jackson actually seems to be centered pretty well too, but edges don't look the best.

      It almost seems like someone took a complete set box and just repacked it into packs...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts