Friday Lunch Hour LCS Visit

Got a little boost to the Cubs team sets yesterday with a lunch hour visit to the LCS. This a much different shop than what I visited earlier this week. This one used to be a bit closer to my home, and my oldest son and I would spend Saturday mornings looking through the dime boxes and picking a few packs to open. It wasn't all that fancy of a place, but had great guys working there that were fun to talk with.

As the modern boom has taken place the shop grew substantially and moved about 20 minutes further away, so we don't get to frequent it nearly as much. The shop has substantially grown and offers lots of high-end hobby stuff. I'm glad they still have many of the same employees and I love talking with the guy working in the vintage area. I'm also happy that they have had such good success, surviving in a tough business and have continued to exist.

So while there were about ten guys opening $300 and $400 hobby boxes of modern stuff around bar (non-liquor) area, I went straight to the vintage "dime" boxes they have. I was fortunate to spend about an hour chatting away and looking through 60s cards, which is what I enjoy doing these days. 

I really don't have a lot to talk about with the guys buying the high-end stuff, but hopefully they're not skipping over their 401k contributions to buy those hobby boxes. (I am a CPA in my real job so can't help but thinking about stuff like that!).

Here is the nice haul that I picked up for $20 today. I'm obviously not a high-end collector, but really liked getting a good price on this Ernie Banks. 

I'm starting to fill out 1956 to early 1970s common Cubs pretty well, so now it's going to start getting a bit pricier picking up Ernie Banks and Billy Williams cards. Since I'm not overly worried about condition at this point though it should be fairly do-able (I hope).

Since I'm very new to blogging, I'm going to have to start getting want lists out there and figuring out how to this trading thing, so any advice you experienced traders might have would be super appreciated!










Comments

  1. That's a nice 66 Banks. Wish my local options had affordable vintage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. One plus of all the high-end, modern stuff is that these tend to get overlooked and there is a pretty nice selection of these. Also nice that they have a good selection of lower grade stuff to make things a bit more affordable.

      Delete
  2. Whoa. Ten guys opening $300 to $400 boxes? That's pretty cool. It's not my style (anymore), but I like the idea that there are people collecting... and opening up products like that. I mean... that's the only way I can afford picking up singles from those types of products.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts