More Trades and Vintage Purchases

 The start of the year is always a busy time -- kids are back to school, work is hectic working through year-end financial close, and off season travel baseball workouts start up. Plus the weather around here after Christmas tends to get pretty crazy. We can get a stretch of days where we drop down to -10 or more degrees, which always makes going outside REALLY fun.

I also had a busy mail week! Received a nice package of 2023 Heritage Cub cards from Night Owl Cards in exchange for the AJ Puk 2023 Heritage short print that I mailed him. Nice group of Cubbies here and I'm not far off from completing the 2023 Cubs Team Set from Heritage now. Since I have absolutely no desire to try and tackle the kind of project N.O. took on in completing the entire Heritage set, I think that this was a great deal!


A recent order from What Not also arrived. Was able to pickup a couple of lots of Mike Schmitt and Robin Yount, and although it was nothing too fancy, there were a few cards in there from before the junk wax era. During the show, I also lucked into winning a giveaway, the first time I ever won one. The seller was awesome and offered a "customized givvy", so I was able to pickup 3 1964 Cubs and got a free Ray Culp gold cup rookie card. I'll have to do a bit of research on Ray Culp -- he looks a lot like my Grandpa Don, so I'll be interested to learn a bit about him.







Pretty good week and I'll be doing a bit of organizing tomorrow morning!

 

Comments

  1. Never experienced weather that cold. Stay warm. Also never used Whatnot. I've heard about it from some Lego reviewers on YouTube, but have never checked it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, when it gets that cold it hurts to breathe outside! What Not has actually been a pretty good spot to find vintage stuff - the shipping kind of bites you, but if you get onto a show early enough you can put a good lot together and keep overall shipping down.

      Delete
  2. Nice '75 Schmidt! ... We are bracing for snow in feet, coming within the next 48 hours. It's been a way of life for me for almost 40 years but I'm starting to think about living elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it's bad when the snow estimates start to come in feet versus inches! In Indiana feet would be a rare "feat", and would definitely shut things down. Florida looks more and more attractive with every passing winter.

      Delete
  3. Nice '75 Schmidt! ... Hope you had fun organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why modern people, especially those of the younger variety, would like the Whatnot, but for me it encompasses just about everything I hate about the internet. That being said, those Cubs were a pretty solid freebie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - What Not kind of has two areas.

      One is pure breakers / flippers. That area of the trading card section I avoid like the plague.

      I do like certain Vintage sellers and after one or two months of just watching shows, got comfortable with some aspects. You do have to be careful as there are some vintage individuals that WAY over price everything. Other risk is getting in large rooms and there is nothing to prevent sellers finding plants to build up bidding.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts