Blog Bat-Around: 5 best pack-pulled hits

Thought I'd get in on my first blog bat-around after seeing Matt at Diamond Jester's post, and others' posts through blogs that I've been following.

I guess you could approach this a few ways. Top 5 based on value; the Top 5 based on favorite player; the Top 5 based on favorite team.

I'll make this post a Top 5 based on TCDb value, which we all know is likely over-stated, however it's a good starting point.

#1 - 2021 Topps - Gold #277 Alec Bohm - SN#1535/2021
TCDb value = $46.00

COMC value = 6 available from $17.79

I know that there is a market for the gold variations from Topps flagship, but still unsure why this particular card seems to be valued so high. I don't remember where I would have pulled this but it was likely at the LCS with my oldest son while we were opening packs, or may have been a birthday blaster?

#2 - 2018 Topps Chrome Update - An International Affair #IA-SO Shohei Ohtani

TCDb value = $34.00

COMC value = 10 available from $40.49

This looks to be a Target exclusive, so I'm thinking this was likely pulled opening a blaster or pack with my oldest son. Back when he used to like collecting, it would not be unusual for us to both get a few packs, or a blaster each and open them together.

#3 - 2018 Topps Update - 1983 Topps 35th Anniversary - #83-13 - Ronald Acuna, Jr.

TCDb value = $18.00

COMC value = 19 available from $16.08

Any Acuna rookie cards are certainly going to be valuable!

#4- 2019 Topps Archives - #75 - Fernando Tatis Jr.

TCDb value = $15.00

COMC value = 41 available from $3.70

Big gap in price here between TCDb and the market.

#5- 2018 Topps Update - US#252 - Ronald Acuna Jr.

TCDb value = $14.90

COMC value = 303 available from $7.37

Another Acuna in the top 5 for value.

So there is the Top 5 most valuable cards that I have ever pulled from a pack -- not a surprise given most of my pack collecting days were from 1988 to 1993, and I only started back up again around 2018. 

At the end of the day, the most valuable card I have ever seen pulled has to be from my 14 year old during 2020.


2020 Road To Wrestlemania Autograph Booklet

I'll never forget the early summer day in 2020 when my son, who was 10 at the time and we were in the midst of the Covid shutdown, pulled this card. The start of our baseball season was in flux and everyone was concerned about what might be next. Things were just starting to open back up again, and we made an early Saturday morning visit to our local card shop.

He picked up about 10 packs of WWE since he was really into wrestling in those days, and as we sat on our back deck he opened up his packs. For some reason I was recording him -- maybe because we were just bored -- but all the sudden the look on his face went white and he starts jumping up and down, yelling out names and his voice cracking. It was a look of pure joy. 

We don't quite know the value of this card, but I've seen it up on e-Bay for between $1500 and $2000, but since he has 10/10 thinking this one might be worth something nice. Needless to say this is saved in our bank's safe deposit box! 






Comments

  1. Not a huge WWE fan anymore... but that booklet is awesome! What a memorable moment for both you and your son on your hobby timelines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TCDB is a terrible place to price things. Although, COMC isn't much better these days either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts