Team Set Completion* - 1981 Donruss Chicago Cubs

Visited one of my favorite e-bay sellers, The Team Set Guy, over the weekend and got around to picking up a few Cubs team sets. I really like being able to acquire a few team sets relatively quickly and at a very reasonable cost.

This weekend picked up a set that came out before my card collecting days, when I was just 5 years old.




Have always liked the look of these cards, even though I only had 6 in my collection before this order arrived. Nice white background, good red consistent border, and nice lettering for the Team name. I really like that these are all consistent and not the rainbow nightmare of 1989, and the ugly salmon red of 1990.

Favorite Card = Dick Tidrow - nicely cropped photo, beautiful green Wrigley Field ivy in the background, and a great leg kick made this my favorite card of the bunch.

Least Favorite Card = George Riley - terrible background, awful lighting, and terrible pose / facial expression. Just all around an ugly card.

Player born closest to my current home = Jim Tracy = Fairfield, OH (102 miles)
Player born farthest from my current home = Carlos Lezcano = Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico (1,914 miles)

Reason for Asterisk on Completion - Ivan DeJesus is the corrected version, and this does not include the error version!

Overall glad to purchase this one and add to the current Cubs collection which now stands at 2,312. 


Comments

  1. There's a 50% chance that 1981 Donruss was the first pack of baseball cards I ever opened. If it wasn't... then it was 1981 Topps. There were definitely specific cards that I really liked in the set... but overall 81D is my least favorite design among the Big 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you like 81T or 81F better? My first set was 1984 so these 81s just feel so "old" to me for some reason...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts