Great Day for a Walk

Been a little hiatus on the card buying thanks tp life getting in the way! 

Got some great news this week as my oldest son found out he made his 7th Grade Baseball team. Was so proud of him and he has been working extremely hard all winter to improve his strength and speed. I was so happy he has learned that staying committed to those workouts paid dividends in his game.

To celebrate the accomplishment this week, mom bought cupcakes for the family, while he and saved this weekend to take a walk and find some 2023 Topps. It was a great Saturday to walk over to the local Walgreens and we were able to find 2 hanger boxes to celebrate. 

This was the first flagship purchase of the year for us and obviously much has already been posted about the new designs. Overall, I like the design of 2023 much better than the past two seasons. Love the headshot reminiscent of '83/'84, but tired of all the angles and slashes -- maybe it's because this week I just finished studying angles for math with my oldest! Wayyyy to many right angles separating the position and team logos on the front. Also, the two random stars just don't seem necessary.

Would like to see a little less "noise" on the front. The oversized logos just don't do anything for me and why bother putting the team name in about size 5 font on the cover. I can live with the white borders but would love to see team color borders or even just some type of color. I really like the looks of the Votto with the navy top section.

I like the backs for numbers and being able to easily read those, however again way too many slashes and angles. Plus, the colors on the back seem random and don't necessarily follow team colors. 

I will say the Aces inserts were a favorite of both of ours. We both picked up one. He got the Max Fried and I got the Greg Maddux (appropriate for young versus "old"). This week I'm planning a lunch hour trip to the LCS and will look be on the lookout for these.

Stars of the MLB insert is pretty decent. There were 4 in these Walgreens hanger...the Ohtani is a Chrome version which was pretty cool.

Lots and lots of rookies! Cardboard Connection has down 56 rookies in Series 1 - while I get it, doesn't seem like we need that many. I'm 1/6 of the way to getting them all in just one hanger box.

Here are the better results of my hanger box:





Overall was not a bad hanger box and was able to satisfy my new card itch for a little while anyway. The best part of the trip was the walk with my son talking about the upcoming season and his new teammates and the fact that when we got home he got the itch to brush off some of his old cards again --- he hasn't done that for a couple of years!

Comments

  1. Congrats to your son for making the team. It's been awhile since I checked Walgreens for cards...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! We were very surprised to find the hanger boxes there and the price was not awful ($12).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts